Shredded pork is one of my favorite proteins to eat! Deliciously tender, juicy and succulent—sometimes there’s just nothing better!
It’s also simple to prepare and a great choice if you’re feeding a crowd (easy on the ole’ wallet, too)! Plus, you can make this recipe using a dutch oven or a slow-cooker!
The ingredients below yield a pretty sizable batch of pork (enough to feed 6-8 people or more), so this recipe is perfect for when you want an easy dinner plus more to freeze and serve for a future meal (it reheats like a dream)!
By the way, this would be the perfect main dish to serve with my keto polenta recipe (which is what I plated it with when I took photos for the blog)!
Freeze half of the shredded pork for future meals and reheat in the oven or microwave!
Straightforward and delicious low-carb, Italian-inspired shredded pork recipe!
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (plus a little more for seasoning pork)
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons healthy fat/oil (plus a little more for coating pork)
- 6–8 pound pork shoulder (Boston butt)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon chives, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Chop garlic, onion and mushrooms.
- Toss onion, garlic, tomatoes and mushrooms in a large Dutch oven (or similarly large, oven-proof pot) and add the fat/oil, basil, salt and black pepper. Stir to mix.
- Push veggies to the sides of the pot and lay in pork shoulder (fat-side-up). Lightly coat pork with more fat/oil and season lightly with black pepper and salt to taste.
- For dutch oven: cover dutch oven/pot with lid and roast in preheated 275°F oven for 5 hours (you can let it go for up to 8 hours, but I would start with a lower temp like 250°F if you do).
- For slow-cooker: cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove from oven and transfer pork shoulder to sheet tray, piece by piece, using tongs. Reduce cooking juices over medium-high heat for 15 minutes until thickened (keep a close eye on it and stir frequently so it doesn’t scorch/burn on the bottom). Stir in butter and chives. Season with salt to taste (important to season it well since the sauce is what seasons the shredded pork).
- Roughly shred pork then return to the pot with cooking juices. Toss gently to coat.
- Serve pork with your choice of sides (like this keto polenta recipe), garnish with more chopped chives and enjoy!
Net carbs: 2.9g
This recipe makes a good amount of shredded pork, so I’d recommend freezing half for a future meal or buying a smaller pork butt and halving the ingredients!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: keto pork recipe, low-carb shredded pork, slow-roasted pork
Hey there—I’m Nate! I’m passionate about developing delicious, healthy recipes and exploring better living through low-carb, wholesome cooking! Welcome! I'm glad you're here!