Keto and low-carb egg roll in a bowl recipe made with pork—plus an optional homemade sriracha-lime mayo and crunchy toasted sesame and cashew topping.
For the stir fry:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (light)
- 1 14-ounce package of coleslaw mix (pre-sliced cabbage)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand) or to taste
- 3 green onions, sliced (optional for garnish)
- 1 small red onion, sliced (optional)
- 2 medium carrots (optional)
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) mushrooms, grated (optional)
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sriracha (or more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 10 drops liquid stevia (optional, see notes)
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil (optional)
For the crunchy topping (optional, but recommended):
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup cashews, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (light)
For the sriracha-lime mayo (optional, but recommended):
- 1 large egg yolk (room temp)
- ¾ cup avocado oil or extra light olive oil (Pompeian brand)
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand) or to taste
- For the sauce, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, garlic powder, black pepper, ginger, liquid stevia and sesame seed oil then reserve.
- Add light olive oil to a large pot and brown the ground pork over medium-high heat (about 6-8 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the garlic, mushrooms, carrots and red onion and cook until softened (about 6-8 minutes).
- Add the cabbage mix and continue to cook, stirring frequently and covering to lightly steam until just tender (4-6 minutes).
- Add the sauce and cook to reduce slightly, stirring constantly, until it evenly coats the cabbage, pork and vegetables (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir in the whites of the green onions (if using) and serve immediately (optionally, garnish with green onion tops).
Sriracha-lime mayo (optional, but recommended):
- Thoroughly whisk together egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, lime juice, garlic powder and salt for 30 seconds or until they turn a pale yellow.
- Very slowly, drip ½ cup of the oil (drop by drop) into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly (it’s crucial to make sure that every drop of oil is fully incorporated at this stage—don’t rush it).
- Whisking constantly (you can take breaks if you need to), slowly add the remaining 1 cup of oil in a thin stream until the mayo is thick (about 8 minutes).
- Add the sriracha and season with more salt to taste (optional), then reserve and use on egg roll in a bowl or any other recipe you’d like (keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks).
Crunchy topping (optional, but recommended):
- Add oil, cashews and sesames seeds to a pan and stir thoroughly.
- Cook over medium heat until lightly toasted (takes about 10 minutes but it’s better to keep an eye on them until they’re a light golden brown).
- Reserve and use to top the egg roll in a bowl or other dishes like curries or salads.
Net carbs: 4.5g (or 7.2g if you make this recipe with the red onion and carrots)
Adding an artificial sweetener like liquid stevia (or other sweetener of your choice) is completely optional, but it makes the dish taste more like traditional Chinese food.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: keto egg roll in a bowl recipe, keto recipes, low-carb recipes