Jump to recipe and more…
This keto egg roll in a bowl recipe stands out from the 5 billion (and counting) others on the internet.
How, you ask?
By kicking things up a notch with a quick and easy sriracha-lime mayo recipe (no blender required) and a crunchy topping made from toasted sesame seeds and chopped cashews.
Take my word for it, this is the last egg roll in a bowl recipe you’ll ever need (with the added bonus of a homemade mayo that’s good on almost everything)!
Leave out the red onion and carrots if you want to further reduce the amount of net carbs!
Keto and low-carb egg roll in a bowl recipe made with pork—plus an optional homemade sriracha-lime mayo and crunchy toasted sesame and cashew topping.
For the stir fry:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (light)
- 1 14-ounce package of coleslaw mix (pre-sliced cabbage)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand) or to taste
- 3 green onions, sliced (optional for garnish)
- 1 small red onion, sliced (optional)
- 2 medium carrots (optional)
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) mushrooms, grated (optional)
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sriracha (or more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 10 drops liquid stevia (optional, see notes)
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil (optional)
For the crunchy topping (optional, but recommended):
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup cashews, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (light)
For the sriracha-lime mayo (optional, but recommended):
- 1 large egg yolk (room temp)
- ¾ cup avocado oil or extra light olive oil (Pompeian brand)
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand) or to taste
- For the sauce, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, garlic powder, black pepper, ginger, liquid stevia and sesame seed oil then reserve.
- Add light olive oil to a large pot and brown the ground pork over medium-high heat (about 6-8 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the garlic, mushrooms, carrots and red onion and cook until softened (about 6-8 minutes).
- Add the cabbage mix and continue to cook, stirring frequently and covering to lightly steam until just tender (4-6 minutes).
- Add the sauce and cook to reduce slightly, stirring constantly, until it evenly coats the cabbage, pork and vegetables (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir in the whites of the green onions (if using) and serve immediately (optionally, garnish with green onion tops).
Sriracha-lime mayo (optional, but recommended):
- Thoroughly whisk together egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, lime juice, garlic powder and salt for 30 seconds or until they turn a pale yellow.
- Very slowly, drip ½ cup of the oil (drop by drop) into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly (it’s crucial to make sure that every drop of oil is fully incorporated at this stage—don’t rush it).
- Whisking constantly (you can take breaks if you need to), slowly add the remaining 1 cup of oil in a thin stream until the mayo is thick (about 8 minutes).
- Add the sriracha and season with more salt to taste (optional), then reserve and use on egg roll in a bowl or any other recipe you’d like (keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks).
Crunchy topping (optional, but recommended):
- Add oil, cashews and sesames seeds to a pan and stir thoroughly.
- Cook over medium heat until lightly toasted (takes about 10 minutes but it’s better to keep an eye on them until they’re a light golden brown).
- Reserve and use to top the egg roll in a bowl or other dishes like curries or salads.
Net carbs: 4.5g (or 7.2g if you make this recipe with the red onion and carrots)
Adding an artificial sweetener like liquid stevia (or other sweetener of your choice) is completely optional, but it makes the dish taste more like traditional Chinese food.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: keto egg roll in a bowl recipe, keto recipes, low-carb recipes
What makes this egg roll in a bowl recipe different?
Better base flavors, an upgraded sauce and the (optional) addition of a creamy (and healthy) sriracha-lime mayo and crunchy toasted topping make this egg roll in a bowl recipe the best you’ll ever try!
This recipe gets a flavor boost from chopped or grated onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms (a game changer—even if you’re not usually a fan of mushrooms, give this a try) that get sautéed with the ground pork after it’s been browned.
But what really puts this recipe over the top is the sauce that’s used to season everything toward the end of cooking.
Asians spices, select condiments and a few drops of stevia (or sweetener of your choice—optional, but recommended) pack this egg roll in a bowl recipe full of flavor and add a subtle sweetness reminiscent of traditional (quality) Chinese take out.
Last but not least, there’s the sriracha-lime mayo and toasted sesame and cashew topping (again, optional, but highly recommended).
These two toppings add creaminess and a subtle crunch that makes this version of a keto classic the best I’ve ever tried (if I don’t say so myself).
Let’s take a look at how to whip these up (recipes are also above)
How to Make Sriracha Mayo (No Blender Required)
Egg roll in a bowl is pretty good on its own, but it’s even more delicious when it’s covered in a creamy, homemade sriracha-lime mayo (this stuff is good on plenty of other foods too)! The mayo base can also be used to make things like garlic aioli or dijonnaise dressing (get the full ingredient list above)!
Crunchy Toasted Sesame & Cashew Topping
When it comes to cooking delicious food, adding texture (in this case, crunch) is almost as important as proper seasoning. This toasted sesame and cashew topping is easy to prepare and is also great on curries, salads and much more (get the full ingredient list above)!
Hey there—I’m Nate! I’m passionate about developing delicious, healthy recipes and exploring better living through low-carb, wholesome cooking! Welcome! I'm glad you're here!