A Tex-Mex inspired keto-friendly chicken dinner!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 medium yellow squash, cut into half-moons
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces full fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 8-ounce block pepper jack cheese, grated
Optional for baked crust:
- ¼ cup crushed pork rinds
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
Optional for serving:
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Cut ends off of squash, halve and slice into ¼ inch half moons.
- Cook sliced chicken thighs with olive oil in a large, non-stick pot over medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes (or until cooked through and browned).
- Lower heat to medium, add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cook for 8-10 minutes (or until squash is almost tender).
- Add cream and cream cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes (or until cream cheese is fully melted/incorporated).
- Add in pepper jack cheese and fold for 1-2 minutes until melted (see notes).
- Transfer mixture to an oiled casserole dish. Crush pork rinds in a resealable bag then mix with grated Parmesan and sprinkle on top. Bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes (or until top is golden brown).
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Optionally, garnish with sour cream and pico de gallo (nutrition info below does not include garnishes). Enjoy!
Net carbs: 4.5g
If you’re in a hurry, you can skip the final baking/crust step. Just continue to reduce the mixture on the stove top after adding the cheese and serve once thickened.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: keto chicken dinner, Mexican, low-carb chicken recipe