Keto-friendly version of taquitos! Stuffed with an easy pulled chicken filling!
Filling (makes enough for ~24 taquitos):
- 1 cup chunky salsa (low carb)
- 3–4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces raw chorizo
Shell (enough for 6 taquitos):
- 1 ½ cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (2% or whole milk)
- For the filling: add the salsa, chicken thighs and chorizo to a large nonstick pot (optionally, add any other vegetables or spices you’d like). Turn the heat to low and simmer for 1-1.5 hours.
- Once the chicken is very tender, turn the heat to medium and begin shredding the chicken and breaking up the chorizo as the liquid reduces.
- Once nearly all the liquid has reduced, transfer the filling to a plate, cover and refrigerate (it shouldn’t need any extra salt at this point).
- For the taquito shells: spread the mozzarella cheese into a thin rectangle (approximately 14” by 9.5” in size) on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake in a 350°F oven for 7 minutes (the edges of the cheese should just barely begin to brown).
- Remove the cheese and, working quickly, slice into 6 even rectangles, place 2-3 tablespoons of filling on each and roll into taquitos (rest them seam side down so they stay closed). Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you run out of filling (full recipe should make 24 taquitos).
- When you’re ready to serve, sear the taquitos (starting seam side down) on each side for 3-5 minutes (or until golden brown and crisp/caramelized) in a nonstick pan over medium-low heat—working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan (see notes). Serve with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
Net carbs: 2.6g
Be sure to work quickly when rolling the taquitos. If the cheese shell becomes too cold, it won’t be as pliable.
When searing the taquitos, try to leave them alone in the pan as much as possible and don’t add too many at a time. They may appear too “melty” at first, but a solid caramelized crust will form as they continue to sear.
The taquitos will be crispiest about 5 minutes after they’re seared. If you’re cooking them in batches, you can reheat them all in a 350°F oven for ~5 minutes on a sheet pan just before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: keto mexican recipe, keto taquitos, low-carb recipes