Smooth and delicious bagna cauda recipe with roasted vegetables.
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (high quality)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand) or to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 4.38-ounce can boneless & skinless sardines in oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ large red onion, roughly sliced
- 4–5 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- ½ large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 12 large asparagus spears (8 ounces), roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand) or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- For bagna cauda: mix heavy cream, butter, olive oil, salt and garlic in a microwave-safe container and microwave (covered) for 2 minutes. Add the sardines to a blender and blend on medium speed while slowly drizzling in the heavy cream mixture. Then blend on high for 1-2 minutes to fully emulsify then reserve (see notes).
- For roasted veggies: preheat oven to 375°F. Heat olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan (see notes) over medium high heat (oil should shimmer but not smoke) with the garlic and thyme. Add the red onion and carrots, toss and then transfer to the preheated oven to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, add cauliflower, toss and then return to oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven once again and add asparagus, toss and return to oven for final 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, parsley and lemon juice then serve immediately.
Net carbs: 8.7g for 1/4 cup bagna cauda and 1 cup of roasted veggies
Leftover bagna cauda can be served reheated or even chilled straight from the fridge (it’s a similar texture to humus).
If you don’t have a large enough oven-proof pan to start the vegetables on the stovetop, you can skip this step and instead bake directly on an oiled or parchment-lined sheet tray.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: bagna cauda, roasted vegetables